04 July 2010

Independence Day

I cried for a long time after you died.
I kept thinking of how much dimmer the world would be
without your 10 billion kilowatt smile.
I didn't even watch the fireworks
in the park that year.
instead, I stayed on the couch with my eyes swollen shut
and tried really hard to time travel,
to tell you one last time how cool i thought you were
and how I always had the biggest crush on you.

But now, a year later, I've decided
that I shouldn't have been so sad
because you picked the best day of the year
to make your journey through the Pearly Gates
because after you finished filling out your forms
and St. Peter stamped and filed them and handed you a halo,
you showed up just in time for the heavenly block party,
had a heavenly hot dog and a beer
and enjoyed your brand new independence
from the things of earth.
And plus, I'm willing to bet that the best seats
for watching fireworks on the Fourth
are in Heaven.



2 comments: